The new Dubuque Community School District Aquatic Center is already making a splash across the district and community! Check out the recap of the grand opening and dedication for this amazing facility:
What's New at Senior High School
Due to inclement weather, all events and activities in the Dubuque Community School District are postponed for Friday, Jan. 17, and Saturday, Jan. 18.
This includes the following:
Friday, Jan. 17
- Hempstead and Dubuque Senior JV Wrestling at Western Dubuque
- Dubuque Senior Boys and Girls Bowling vs Prairie High School
- Dubuque Senior vs. Hempstead Boys Sophomore and Boys Varsity Basketball (This has been rescheduled for Monday, Jan. 20 with the sophomore game beginning at 5 p.m. and the varsity game beginning at 6:30 p.m.)
- Dubuque Senior vs. Hempstead Girls JV and Girls Varsity (This has been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 1, with the JV game beginning at 5 p.m. and the varsity game at 6:30 p.m.)
Saturday, Jan. 18
- Hempstead Freshman Boys Basketball vs Iowa City at Hempstead
- Dubuque Senior Freshman Boys Basketball vs. Cedar Rapids Jefferson at Senior
- Hempstead and Senior Boys and Girls Bowling vs Clinton (Schools will not be traveling due to the winter storm warning.)
- Boys City Swim Meet
- Aquatic Center Grand Opening (This event has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 21, at 5 p.m. before the planned 6:30 p.m. swim meet).
- Hempstead and Dubuque Senior Wrestling (Schools will not be travelling on due to the winter storm warning.)
Dear Students and Families of the Dubuque Senior High School Class of 2024:
Welcome to our Ram Family!
The Ram Family invites incoming students and families to attend our Open House on Monday, January 27, 2019. This event will begin in the Dubuque Senior High Nora Gymnasium at 7:00 p.m.
Registration for high school classes will begin soon at the middle schools, so attendance to the Open House is an important opportunity to learn about courses offered at Dubuque Senior High School. If you are a family new to our district, school counselors and administrators will be available to answer questions regarding the transfer and registration process.
Open House Activities:
· Time to speak with Dubuque Senior High School faculty regarding courses
· Time to speak with Dubuque Senior High School coaches and sponsors regarding activities
· Demonstrations from various departments about their course work
· Information sessions regarding Advanced Placement classes, Gifted & Talented Program and Special Education Support
· Time to explore the building
The evening will begin in Nora Gymnasium and after a short program, families will be able to speak with teachers, explore the building or attend an information session.
The students who get the most out of their high school years are the students who become involved with their school’s clubs and activities. This event will be a great time for you to learn about the opportunities you will have in the next four years.
If you have any questions, please contact the Dubuque Senior High School Main Office at 552-5500.
Dr. Dan Johnson
The Dubuque Community School District will make a splash when it officially unveils its new Aquatic Center with a grand opening and open house of the new facility. This event has been postponed for January 18 due to inclement weather and rescheduled for 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 21.
The Aquatic Center, located on the Hempstead High School campus, will serve as the district’s main competition swimming and diving venue. The $9.57 million facility replaces the district’s outdated pool, which was decommissioned last year after it became unusable.
The Dubuque Area Swimmin’ Hurricanes (DASH) also contributed $1 million to the project, which expanded the number of lanes available in the facility. The Aquatic Center will serve as the main DASH practice facility and home competition venue.
A short program will be held at 5 p.m. on January 21, with community members being able to view the facility during an open house after the program. At 6:30 p.m., the district will host a swim meet in the facility featuring teams from both Dubuque Senior High School and Hempstead High School.
The Parking Lottery names have been drawn for 2019-20 school year. Below are the lists of those selected:
For students selected, please print and complete the appropriate form below and bring it to school during registration with the required accompanying documentation.
NOTE: If you have problems accessing the Parking Permit Forms above, please contact the Main Office at 563/552-5500 for assistance obtaining a copy.
Now is the time for students in the Class of 2020 to start thinking about your senior yearbook photo.
Photos are due by 11:59 p.m. on December 6, 2019.
To submit your photo:
- Attach your photo as a jpeg, place your name in the subject line, and email to email@example.com.
- Please ensure your name is spelled/capitalized/etc. as you would like it to appear.
- You will receive a confirmation email once we receive the photo. Please be aware that this email account is not checked over the summer. If you send a photo over the summer, your confirmation email will be sent at the beginning of the school year.
- If we do not receive a photo, but an ID photo is available, the ID photo will be used. Photos do not need to be professional, but must follow the guidelines set forth in the Parent Student Handbook.
If you would like to order a 2019-2020 yearbook, cost is $50 and ordering will available on the district Online Payment Portal. Ordering will close at 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2020 – NO EXCEPTIONS.
We love watching a new group of Dubuque Community School District graduates walk across the stage at commencement – and we wish them much success in the future.
Below are the 2019 Dubuque Senior High School and Hempstead High School graduation videos so you can relive the excitement!
The Spring 2019 Online Student Art Galleries are now live featuring art from the district’s elementary, middle and high school students!
These galleries area a way to highlight the remarkable products of art education in the district. It’s a digital attempt at bringing the work of our student artists at all levels into your home – because art is created for others to take in.
Check-in for fall 2019 sports will be held on the dates/times listed below.
The following forms (completely filled out and signed) will be collected at that time:
NOTE: Immediate Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT) will be administered the same week as check-in. Please see below for dates and times. THIS TEST IS REQUIRED FOR ALL ATHLETES!
LOCATION: Activities Office
Monday, August 5
8 a.m. – Football (all levels)
11 a.m. – Cheerleading (all participating)
Tuesday, August 6
8:30 a.m. – Women’s Cross Country
Wednesday, August 7
8:30 a.m. – Men’s Cross Country
Thursday, August 8
8 a.m. – Volleyball (all participating)
9 a.m. – Men’s Golf
9:45 a.m. – Women’s Swimming
If you are planning to participate in a fall sport, please report at the times listed. Have physical forms, concussion form, and student information section, all completely filled out and signed. NO ONE will be allowed to practice until the completed forms have been turned in to the Activity Office secretary either at the check-in date or in the Activities Office before the first practice. NO EXCEPTIONS! The physical will be kept on file in the office for one year.
ImPACT Concussion Test Schedule
THIS TEST IS REQUIRED BY ALL ATHLETES TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY SPORT!
Immediate Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT) will be administered the same week as check-in. Those athletes who need to take this test, please note the time of the test and have your consent form filled out and signed.
NOTE: The testing date MAY NOT be the same as your designated check-in date!
LOCATION: All testing will take place in D157
Monday, August 5
7 a.m. – ALL Football players ONLY
10:30 a.m. – Cheerleaders
Tuesday, August 6
7:30 a.m. – Women’s Cross Country
Wednesday, August 7
7:30 a.m. – Men’s Cross Country
9 a.m. – Volleyball
Thursday, August 8
8 a.m. – Men’s Golf
8 a.m. – Women’s Swimming
Friday, August 9
8 a.m. – any makeups needed
Monday, August 12
7:15 a.m. – any makeups needed
DUBUQUE SENIOR TO PRESENT TWELVE ANGRY JURORS
Dubuque Senior High School will present Reginald Rose’s courtroom drama,Twelve Angry Jurors. Performances will be May 2–4 at 7:00 pm, and Sunday, May 5 at 2:00 pm. Dubuque Senior’s production will be performed in the Lamb-Hedeman Auditorium with a cast and crew of more than 50 students.DESCRIPTION: A 19-year-old man has just stood trial for the fatal stabbing of his father. It looks like an open-and-shut case—until one of the jurors begins opening the others’ eyes to the facts. Tempers get short, arguments grow heated, and the jurors reveal their inner demons. This electrifying courtroom drama will have you on the edge of your seat.
WHAT: Twelve Angry Jurors –by Reginald Rose
WHERE: Dubuque Senior High School Auditorium
WHEN: Thursday, May 2 (7:00 PM)Friday, May 3 (7:00 PM)Saturday, May 4(7:00 PM)Sunday, May 5 (2:00 PM)
TICKETS: $6 in advance; $8 at the door Tickets may be purchased in advance online at www.dbqsenior.booktix.com. Tickets may also be purchased at the door beginning one hour before the performance. Limited seating -you are encouraged to purchase your tickets in advance.RUN TIME:90 minutes with no intermission
Twelve Angry Jurors is adapted from the 1954 teleplay of the same title for the CBS Studio One anthology television series.
The original television show starred Henry Fonda, and the 1997 re-make featured Jack Lemmon in the leading role.
Dubuque Senior’s production will feature senior Brady Booth in the Fonda/Lemmon role.
TheBroadway debut of the play came 50 years after CBS aired the play, on October 28, 2004
Dubuque Senior’s production will be performed in arena-style (theatre-in-the-round), which will place the audience in the jury room for the action of the play.